Saturday, August 27, 2016

BRACES DIARIES #1 | I did it!

After wanting to get it done for years, I finally did it!




So, before getting into the details, I wanna share some of the 'before' phase first.

Growing up as a kid I never heard anything from others like I 'should' get my braces done, because they were originally nearly perfect, thanks to genes (yes, I was so proud of my teeth back then). Then one day, I remember it was the Mid-Autumn festival night, I was playing some sort of hide-and-seek chasing game with my neighbour's kid at the road outside our house instead of doing my homework (did I mentioned primary school was tough?). 

Then, when I was running for the kid to chase and 'caught' me, he accidentally pushed too hard on me so I fell, on the asphalt road, facing down. Immediately I burst into tears, my everything hurt so bad: palm, elbow, knee, and teeth. My gum was in extreme pain, I think that was because my upper right front tooth was being pushed in when I collide with the road LOL. Later on, I found out the corner of my right front tooth was chipped, although you can barely notice. Now you see, I SHOULD JUST ALWAYS LISTEN TO MY MUM AND DONT RUN LIKE MAD ON THE ROAD AS A KID.

But you know what, what have been done cannot be undone. Since then I noticed my front teeth were slightly uneven, the right front tooth was slightly slanted inwards, causing the illusion of different length too. Other than that, the second next tooth beside my upper right front tooth also popped out, again I personally think it is the consequences of that incident. At that time, everything was fine for me, they still looked cute anyway. 

Then THINGS STARTED TO GO CRAZY this few recent years. My lower front teeth started to become crooked. It gets more obvious every day, and really drives me crazy every time I look into the mirror.

2014
2015
2016
2016







I also realized I have a bit overbite.







I know some of you might say it was just a minor problem, you can really see the problem unless I open my mouth big, but they really bother me a lot LOL!



So, after doing research online and asking friends around who did/doing braces, I finally decide to call some dental clinics to ask their services and price. At the end I decided to get mine done at the Ong Dental Surgery located at Kepong.

Why there?
1. I live around there = easy access.
2. I have a few friends who did their braces there and the feedbacks were all good, except the long waiting time.
3. Affordable.

Btw, I did try to call them MANY times before today but they never picked up my calls. Same as this morning 10am something, I think I only able to reach them at my 3rd attempts. So I talked to them I wanna have a consultation with the dentist about getting braces, they asked me to go around 1.30pm, which I didn't listen. I took my time and reach there around 2.30pm and it was still not my turn. So I went to the Mc Donald's nearby with my mum to get a sundae cone LOL. Then I went back to the clinic at around 3pm, they called my name like less than 5 minutes.

I was being directed to a room. Everyone seems very busy. They asked me to sit on the surgical chair which I thought it was weird because I was just here for the consultation, right? Then the dentist, Dr Ong came, he was very friendly, and straight to the point. He said if I really do have the intention to get braces then they will proceed with moulding my teeth and get the x-ray done first, he will then let me know how many teeth need to be extract, but I need to wait at least an hour for the mould to be ready. 

After reading so many experiences of others from the Internet I kinda already prepare for that, so I told him yes, we can start now. AND DR. ONG JUST WALKED OUT THE ROOM. Another young dentist did the mould for my teeth and took A LOT of pictures of my face with different angles (I think it is for comparison purpose), and an Indian girl did the x-ray for me. After that I went back to the waiting hall, paid RM200 and wait for another hour.

About 4pm they called my name again. I went into another room, Dr Ong was there with the mould of my teeth, and a computer screen full of my x-ray and pictures LOL. I FINALLY REALIZED I HAVE A WISDOM TOOTH LYING INSIDE THE GUM. But the dentist said we don't have to do anything about it. He also said my upper bone is thicker, that's why I have a bit overbite, but it is still in the acceptable range. He then began to explain I need to extract 4 teeth in order to get a better result. I PANICKED. I mean, my teeth was not even THAT bad to begin with why do I still need to extract 4 teeth?! But this is it, gotta do what you gotta do. Then I told him I need to discuss with my mum first before the next move. 



Upper teeth / Lower teeth

I went back to the waiting hall again, the receptionist asked me to go over and see which type of braces I wanna do. Of course I chose the cheapest one LOL. Talked to my mum, and also asking questions to the random stranger there beside me HAHAHA, I decided to put on the braces today first, when I get used to it I will come back to do the tooth extraction later (you can choose which one to do first, it depends on your preference), because Dr Ong said some people think it will be less painful to extract after wearing the braces for a period of time, as the teeth already started moving around so it will be loosen up, thus easier to be extracted. (Which then I figured out I kinda kena tipu)

10 minutes later, they called my name AGAIN, went back to the room I got in the first time. Dr Ong came and put the brackets on my teeth, then he went out of the room again like the other patient at the room beside is dying or whatever wtf. THEY SEEM REALLY BUSY. Then the young dentist came again to put the wire in and tie the rubber on. I was not asked to choose the color of the rubber band tho, they picked the grey one for me, which was good since it blends in with the silver bracket and wire nicely anyway HAHA.  There were about 4 people working at the same time just to get my braces done LOL.

I think I will just stick with grey rubber band for the rest of my braces life LOL

Btw I need to complain a bit about the young dentist here. When he did the mould for my teeth he first put the metal tray in my mouth (I guess it was to see if the size fits), and it literally scratched my gum and I told him I was in pain. But he just replied: oh pain ah? I was like, duhhhh, abuden? No la I was just joking? Obviously pain la you come let me try. -.- Then the second time when he was putting the rubber around the bracket to tie the wire together, he was humming to the song playing on radio so I thought wah okay seems like you very geng liao, everything must be steady that's why you can still sing at this moment. When he was doing for my lower front teeth I think he faced a little bit difficulty because the 2 teeth were crooked so the brackets were so close to each other. Then suddenly he said 'SHIT' (not that capital-letter-loud la but at least I still can hear him even with mask on okay). I was like ???????? Hello? Your patient is still here you must let your emotion spilt like that meh? 

Anyway, after it was done I feel a bit tension on my teeth, but it faded or I get used to it quite quickly. Then Dr Ong came again, he gave me an orthodontic toothbrush (made for people with braces) and two tiny brush (like those micro-mascara wand LOL) which you supposed to use it to clean the slit between your teeth and the brackets/wire. Then I went back to the waiting hall, paid another RM1500. The receptionist gave me a pack of wax, said if the brackets scratch my gum I can put a bit wax on top of it. When I told her I want to make an appointment for my teeth extraction next week, she just said I have to walk-in again because the next available appointment is a month after. OKAY, FINE. You get cheaper price, you have to wait for longer. I can understand on this one.



So here it is, my braces!



If you noticed, I don't have brackets on the 4 teeth that are going to be extracted. Remember I mentioned earlier that Dr Ong said some people think the teeth will loosen up after wearing braces so it would be less painful when extracting? Correct me if I am wrong, but, LIE!!!! The brackets were not even there how the hell is the teeth gonna be pulled and move???




Dr Ong put some white stuff under my upper teeth (I guess it was to prevent my teeth collide with the brackets when I bite), and told me they will fall off so don't have to worry about it.




I have not experienced any soreness or pain so far, but I could chew on food. My mum cooked us soup rice noodle for dinner with some chicken and I literally just swallow the noodle in only. I am not sure the reason I can't bite is due to the white stuff under my upper teeth or is it just because I am too afraid to bite? 


Overall, I recommend this dental clinic ONLY if you already prepared/did your research on braces,
1. I think they did not tell me many details but I already sort of know it beforehand. (eg: type of different braces, the process, etc etc)
2. Even if I already did so many preparation but I can still be panicked and forgot to ask questions, next time I should just write down everything I want to ask before go into the room again LOL. 

And also to those with tight budget + a lot of free time to come here and wait.












Phewww, I was not expecting this post to be so lengthy LOL.

Till next time!



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick recap!


I have already paid

RM 200 - for teeth mould and x-ray
RM 1500 (out of RM 3500) - for traditional metal braces including retainer

that means I would still have to pay 
RM 2000 (the remaining amount from RM 3500)
RM 200 - teeth extraction (RM 50 for one tooth)

and the expected total fee would be RM 3900.






------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Info bar:

Ong Dental Surgery
18A, Jalan 54, Desa Jaya, 52100 Kuala Lumpur.
03-62722710, 012-6221276


No comments:

Post a Comment